Friday, May 19, 2006

Cinco de mayo

My school went all out for Cinco de mayo this year. Students and staff were encouraged to wear traditional Mexican attire (of course, I was excited to join in!). First, all classes participated in a door-decorating contest. My students wrote about the battle at Puebla versus the French (I learned something too!). Then, we learned traditional Mexican dances, ate nachos and bunuelos, played chalupa (similar to bingo), and hit a pinata. After school, I went to a Mercedes High School mariachi concert. Finally, my evening was topped off when I convinced Helen to come with me to Tejano Saloon, a Mexican bar/club. We were definitely the only two "guerras" (white girls) in the whole place. We people-watched for awhile then joined in the huapango, a traditional Mexican dance where you stand two plus people abreast and make a big circle around the dance floor. I enjoyed my Cinco de mayo to the fullest here on the Mexico border.Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home