Saturday, November 18, 2006

A Special Phone Call

I still have a "Valley" phone number, so I occasionally receive calls from unrecognizable "956" numbers (my area code). I enjoy answering these calls because they are typically wrong numbers and I get to speak Spanish and explain...."No, yo no soy su nieta Maria" (No I'm not your granddaughter Maria). So, last night I answered and heard "Buenas tardes" (another wrong number, I thought). But, no....it was Natalia's mom! Natalia (one of my favorite students!) had just received my card in the mail with my cell phone number and called to catch up. It was so cute....we spoke in Spanish (even though I taught her in English) for about 15 minutes. She told me about 2nd grade, her teacher, the books she's reading, her old classmates who continue to misbehave, other students who have migrated and aren't at Taylor Elementary anymore, and she shared her excitement about her new baby brother who will be born within the next 2 weeks! It was so great to talk to a former student, a reminder that, yes, I was a teacher....wow crazy!

I had originally included my phone number in response to her question, "En que horario podemos hablar por telefono?" (literally: in what schedule can we talk on the phone). How cute...one of my students wants to talk to me....her former first grade teacher! I can't wait to see her (and her family) when I visit in March! :) Also....Natalia was the focus of my story during my most recent Teach for America recruiting trip....little does she know that college students all the way in Oregon have heard about her :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home