Saturday, January 19, 2008

Appalachian Trail



I brushed the cobwebs off my backpack that I hadn't been able to use (for its intended purpose) since Spring Break '05, when Greg and I backpacked in Big Bend National Park. One weekend this spring, I went on a backpacking trip in the Roan Highlands section of the Appalachian Trail. Julie, one of my classmates, and Daniel, her fiancee, and I drove up to the North Carolina - Tennessee border one Friday night. We rolled in late that night to an AT backpackers cabin and camped out in the horse arena out front. In the morning, we packed up and the owner drove us to the trailhead. Saturday was spent backpacking and enjoying the sights and sounds of nature. I enjoyed talking with some thru-hikers (planning on completing the entire AT...from Georgia to Maine). We hiked up and over several "balds" (the term for Southern "hills"...they almost qualify as mountains). Finally we camped at a particularly beautiful lookout, then hiked out the next day and drove back to Atlanta. It was a fun weekend, and very well planned by Daniel, a committed REI employee :)

Here are all the pictures from my Appalachian Trail backpacking adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home