Saturday, May 20, 2006

After-School Reading Tutoring

My school, due to low achievement levels on statewide testing, has a huge tutoring program. Grants and federal monies pay for after-school and Saturday tutoring for hundreds of our first through fourth grade students. I've been tutoring between ten and fourteen students three days a week since January. These students come from two other first grade teachers, as well. I try to help them out with lots of phonics, phonemic awareness, vocabulary, fluency, and guided reading. At the end of tutoring every day we circle up, place one hand in the middle, and cheer "Go TEAM!"--they love it! Kiddie quotes from my students: Cynthia, in the pink and white shirt, "I love you, Ms. Northcrap" (darn "ft" is hard to say). Brianna, in red, "Ms. Northcraft, I act like I'm you when I play teacher with my dolls." Castulo, far left, "I'm going to miss you this summer." I will certainly miss them! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home