Sunday, April 06, 2008

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

I absolutely LOVE my current Physical Therapy rotation at St. Jude. The hospital is incredible...started in the 60's by entertainer Danny Thomas with the mission that "no child should die in the dawn of a new light." The hospital provides care to children with catastrophic illnesses (i.e. brain tumors-medulloblastomas, leukemia, sarcomas, etc.) regardless of the families' ability to pay. The facility exudes hope to young patients and their families. Walking through the colorful hallways and brand-new bone marrow transplant floor, I am reminded of an elementary school...with hopscotch in the floor tiles, murals, and children's artwork. The cultural, geographic, and socioeconomic diversity of the patients is unlike any other hospital I have visited. I am currently on the bone marrow transplant floor, working with very critically ill children. I currently treat two patients on a daily basis, ages 4 and 14. In 5 weeks I will transfer downstairs to the outpatient PT clinic, where the majority of patients are seen (after their chemo is complete and/or their blood counts have improved and they are not as immunosuppressed). I am really enjoying working in the non-profit, pediatric healthcare environment! More stories and pictures to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home